- Beat water and condensed milk together with an electric mixer until well combined (about 1 minute, and be careful, this one can fly every where!)
- Beat in pudding mix for 2 more minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- Whip the cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the pudding.
- To assemble, do alternating layers of wafers, banana, and pudding. Make as many layers as you like and divey up the ingredients accordingly (you could also make individual portions in stemless wine glasses like I did).
May 21, 2009
Because Cupcakes Are So Last Year
For years, every birthday in our house has included the infamous Magnolia Bakery cupcakes. People line up around the block waiting to get into the itty bitty store in the west village to buy of box of these treasured cupcakes. Truth be told, I'm not the biggest fan of the traditional vanilla or chocolate. They are a little grainy and dry and the frosting makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it. Some of the other flavors like spice or red velvet are okay, but they aren't the real star of the show. The real star is the banana pudding. It is absolutely ta-die-for, and has long been dubbed by Brad and I as the best dessert in nyc.
For his birthday this year I decided to make the pudding myself instead of going out and buying a tub. I was completely shocked how easy it is to make. I was even more shocked that it tastes identical, if not better, than the one from the bakery. Score!! Seriously, if you are a banana pudding fan this absolutely must go on your "to make now" list. And if you are in ny you can also swing by and grab you some of the goodness (Buttercup carries all the same items as well, but wasn't mentioned on Sex and the City, so it's usually way less crowded).
Magnolia's Famous Banana Pudding
Recipe Courtesy of More from Magnolia
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups ice cold water
1 3.4-ounce package instant vanilla pudding mix (Jell-O brand recommended)
3 cups heavy cream
1 12-ounce box Nabisco Nilla Wafers (substituting not recommended)
4 cups sliced ripe bananas