May 27, 2009

Cheesy Rosemary Drop Biscuits

Don't you just love culinary karma. You know, when you stumble upon a delicious recipe and just so happen to have practically everything in your kitchen already. You might even be struck with a great idea on how to jazz up said recipe. This is culinary karma. For the record I also believe in shopping karma - where you put the beautiful, but pricey dress back on the rack and return a week later to see if they still have your size. If so, well, that little number was just meant to be yours. 

Back to the point though, I had a bout of culinary karma the other day when I came across some yummy little biscuits on Everybody Like Sandwiches. I was debating what to have for dinner and had a hankering for some eggs. Since we were also leaving for Toronto for a week (which is where we still are), we had barely anything left in the fridge. When I saw these it was like all the moving pieces came together. Poached eggs over cheesy biscuits - perfect easy dinner. I changed the recipe up a bit to fit what I had on hand, and loved the end result. I think you could really play around with these to find the flavor combination that works for you. 

I will for sure be making these again. They have that perfect squishy, biscuity (I can make up words when it's my blog, right?) texture, and are loaded with flavor. Plus they are as easy to make as cookies. Just mix and scoop. And be sure to grab the parchment paper instead of wax paper though...oops! ;)

Cheesy Rosemary Drop Biscuits
Adapted from Everybody Like Sandwiches, which she got from Bread & Honey
Makes appx. 9

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated jack cheese
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
  • Preheat oven to 450℉.
  • Combine flour, baking powder, salt, rosemary, pepper, and cheeses in a large bowl.
  • Stir in milk and oil and stir just until all ingredients are incorporated.
  • Use an ice cream scoop to make equal sized dollops onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
  • Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until lightly golden.

28 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Culinary karma! Absolutely love it. The biscuits look pretty darn good as well. Have a wonderful day.

Justin said...

that's a really interesting-sounding combination

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA culinary karma! these look delicious! i think i would love mine with a TON of cheesy goodness..

Foodiewife said...

Love your culinary karma. It's so true! These biscuits remind me of the ones from Red Lobster (though I haven't eaten at one since my kid was younger). They look simple and very tasty. I'll have to whip some up for my "Big Kid" who loves this kind of treat.

Lyndas recipe box said...

I love biscuits and eggs and with this combination of cheeses they'd have to be great!

Sara said...

I love recipes where I don't have to run to the store to make them! These sound really delicious.

Dewi said...

Delicious sounding biscuits. Gosh, the rosemary must have a very nice and fragrant flavor in there. Delicious!

Andrea said...

I love the term "culinary karma", and these biscuits look great. I always get super excited about recipes that I can just make without having to go on a hunt for ingredients!

Donna-FFW said...

Great combo.. and the poached eggs with these must have been terrific!!

kickpleat said...

Yay, so glad you liked them! I haven't tried rosemary yet, but they work wonderfully with chipotle too! Yum.

Lexie said...

Oh...those look delicious! Like Red Lobster's cheesy biscuits, but even better!

I like the shopping karma theory!!

Chef Fresco said...

Cheesy homemade biscuits, yum! These looks so delicious!

Anonymous said...

mmm... cheese and rosemary - yummy biscuits, wonderful with a poached egg!

Kerstin said...

I love cheesy biscuits, and these look SO good with the rosemary you added! I hope you're having fun in Toronto!

sugarlens said...

Culinary karma, I love it! I do a little happy dance whenever that happens to me. :)

Hope you are having fun in Tornoto!

Emily said...

This is my kind of meal! I love cheesy biscuits. You're going to Toronto! Yaaaay. That'll be fun.

grace said...

yep, it's most fortunate that you had everything you needed for these delightful little mounds of cheesy goodness. although i've yet to taste a cheese biscuit equivalent in tastiness to the red lobster version, i suspect these would come close. :)

Kendall Boggs said...

oh yummy.

Gaby said...

oh my goodness... this looks delicious! fabulous job!

Pumpkin said...

I love drop biscuits- It's all the yumminess of a biscuit without the work of rolling them out and cutting them.
In fact... we're having omlettes for dinner tonight. I may have to make these!

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

Culinary Karma - i like that! I know exactly what you mean!

Stacey Snacks said...

These look so yummy, though not on my diet....will save them for a weekend binge! I want them with my eggs please!

Stacey said...

Oh my.... that looks delicious! I love cheese biscuits! I must try this recipe!

Jamie said...

I love recipes like this, and serving them simply with eggs sounds perfect.

I do believe in both culinary and shopping karma (I have that same idea about shopping: if it is still there a week later, it was meant to be mine!).

Pumpkin said...

I made these last night! Very good, and super easy. Thanks for passing on the recipe!

Lori Lynn said...

They look mighty tasty. Especially as a little sandwich with an egg.

Clever bit on karma :)

LL

Elyse said...

Ooo, these biscuits do seem like culinary karma--see, I just found your blog, and you rewarded me with a post about these awesome biscuits! Love your blog, and I will definitely be back often.

Creative Classroom Core said...

Those are some tasty looking biscuits! Heavenly!
I love the ingredient combo - so tasty!
Thanks for sharinG!