- Whisk together sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk in milk and cream and continue whisking while cooking over medium heat until it begins to thicken and bubble (about 5 minutes).
- Pour liquid into bowl that is placed over ice and let chill slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Puree strawberries in blender, then strain into the slightly cooled base liquid.
- Stir in pomegranate juice.
- Chill for 3 hours.
- Process in ice cream maker per maker's instructions (mine took about 25 minutes).
- Freeze at least 3 hours and up to 2 days.
June 4, 2009
This post is going to be short and sweet today. Mainly because I have forfeited my life over to a series of books that have captured the hearts of teenage girls everywhere. Yes, I am slightly embarrassed to say that I have jumped on the Twilight bandwagon. I know I'm a little late to the party, but I'm sure making up for lost time. I simply cannot put these books down! They have me completely mesmerized and life as I know it is paused until I've read every last word.
I did, however, manage to pull myself away long enough to use up some of the seasons beautiful strawberries in this delicious gelato. It's pretty and pink and tastes just like fresh berries. And I can vouch that it makes for a fabulous breakfast (what, there's milk and fruit in it!). If you aren't the proud owner of an ice cream maker, I would highly recommend that you get yourself one asap. Not only is it fun and easy, but there is just no beating freshly made ice cream.
I also want to thank everyone so much for the wonderful well wishes for my 1 year. I've had such a great time writing this blog, and am so blessed to have made so many wonderful friends through it. Thank-you so much for always being so supportive and motivating!
I also want to mention that one of my family's dear friends has a wonderful art blog (she is a fantastic artist) and is having a giveaway for one of her very special pieces. Please do go give Kendall a visit at Kendall Boggs Fine Art.
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 1/4 cups sliced hulled strawberries
2 tablespoons pomegranate juice